Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Pochahantas?

Gasp! Now there's a picture of a naked person on the internet! (click for full)


...strange clouds...



On Saturday mornings I've been going to life-drawing sessions at Hipbone Studios. Needless to say, there's no better way to study anatomy. A lot of my sketches look great until I look at them from arm's length and realize the proportions are totally off - I've got to work on keeping the "big picture" in mind even as I'm rendering the details. Betty Edward's Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain has already been of invaluable service in helping to fix this.

The model this Saturday had the high cheekbones I associate with Native Americans, and one of the poses she struck made me think of the classic image of an Indian on a mountain outcrop watching the arrival of the first Europeans. Specifically, it makes me think of the line from Disney's Pochahantas, "... strange clouds..." Hey, if they're from the western hemisphere, it can't be orientalist, right? RIGHT?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...